Manhattan Area Technical College - Off Site ESL Instructor
Job Classification: Non-Exempt, Part-Time
Work Schedule: 8AM-12PM Monday – Thursday
Compensation: $27.50 Hourly
Reporting Relationship: Program Coordinator
Location: Flint Hill Job Corps, Manhattan, KS
The selected instructor will work with the Program Coordinator and Director of Adult Education and other ALC staff to implement the goals, mission, and activities of the Adult Learning Center. Instruction includes skill building in the areas of reading, listening, conversation, and writing as measured by the TABE (Test of Adult Basic Education) assessment and helps students better access their community, prepare for post-secondary education, or prepare for a career. All ESL classes are taught in a blended-learning format with both computer-guided and direct instruction. Classes will be composed of students with varying levels of English mastery.
- Communicates expectations through appropriate ESL instructional means, to include but not limited to developing course syllabi, handouts, and materials supporting the mission and vision of the Adult Learning Center; evaluates student progress and provides clear, timely feedback.
- Provide contextualized reading, writing, listening, speaking and grammar instruction within workforce and academic classes to align with WIOA and CCRS using collaborative activities via communicative and cognitive methods.
- Provide all students with a safe and appropriate learning environment
- Provide classroom accommodations to students as needed and/or appropriate
- Plan for, teach, and test citizenship skills
- Counsel and support students in developing and accomplishing individualized goals. Conduct individual student conferences and follow-up as needed
- Prepare a syllabus and daily lesson plans for each session/class based on student needs and WIOA (Workforce Innovation Opportunity Act/Grant) Outcomes
- Maintain confidentiality of student records and personal information at all times.
- Work collaboratively with other instructors to share ideas and materials to provide the best possible learning experience for ALC students.
- Assist in applying school rules, administrative regulations, and MATC Board policies.
- Achieve 75% educational gains on all student outcomes\
- Incorporate Technology training into the ESL curriculum and classroom instruction as appropriate.
- Complete and maintain daily attendance records for students.
- Maintain cooperative relationships and open communication with all staff and students.
- Other duties as assigned by the Program Coordinator or Director of Adult Education.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s preferred.
- Experience using computer-based curriculum and multi-modal instructional strategies.
- Training and/or experience in ESL required; TESOL certified preferred.
- Fluency in Spanish preferred
- Working with adult education or higher education preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills necessary. Ability to work well with a variety of people, in a variety of team situations.
- Complete all required/recommended Adult Education trainings offered by the Kansas Board of Regents within 6 months of initial hiring.
- Acceptance of and willingness to support the role that technical colleges serve in higher education, and specifically the mission, values, goals and objectives of Manhattan Area Technical College.
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering and supporting a teaching, learning and working environment that honors diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
- Ability to read computer screens and mail, email, talk on the phone.
- Ability to unpack and move supplies up to twenty-five (25) lbs.
- Ability to work occasional evenings and attend events as required.
- Professional and deadline-oriented environment in an educational setting.
- Interaction with students, staff and guests.
NOTICE OF SPECIAL POSITION OF EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
- This position description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of all duties and results to be performed in this position. Duties and Performance standards may be added, subtracted, and/or changed by your supervisor at any time due to changes in department or institutional requirements.
- Unless exempt due to employment contract signed by the President, all employees of Manhattan Tech are to be considered as an “at-will” employee.
- All employees of Manhattan Tech are considered “responsible employees” pertaining to Title IX regulations concerning both prevention and reporting of sexual assault or harassment situations. As such, all employees must communicate with the Title IX Coordinator if they witness or hear about sexual assault or harassment situations.
- Manhattan Tech is an equal opportunity employer and complies with EEOC and ADA employment requirements. Manhattan Tech grants equal opportunity to all qualified persons without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, gender, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, religion or veteran status.
- All ‘offers of employment” are subject to criminal background check prior to employment.
MANHATTAN AREA TECHNICAL COLLEGE IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE COMPLY WITH TITLE IX OF THE EDUCATIONAL AMENDMENTS OF 1972. WE COMPLY WITH THE REHABILITATION ACT OF 1973, THE VIETNAM ERA VETERANS’ READJUSTMENT ASSISTANCE ACT OF 1974, AND THE AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT.