Tender Loving Care Pet Nursing Hotel - Registered Veterinary Technician
Job Classification: Exempt, Full-Time
Work Schedule: As negotiated in Offer Letter
Reporting Relationship: Chief Executive Officer
The Registered Veterinary Technician (RVT) is the responsible for the pets in the care of Tender Loving Care Pet Nursing Hotel (“TLC”). This position assures the overall health and well-being of the pets.
- Delivers outstanding customer service, including greeting and receiving pet parents and pets in a professional, caring and courteous manner, promptly answering phone calls, responding to pet parents and coworkers’ needs and requests, and redirecting calls.
- Assists and cooperatively works with all office/sales staff.
- Conducts cleaning duties such as scrubbing, sweeping, vacuuming, and mopping of floors, walls and shelves throughout the facility, including storage and prep areas. Washes dishes, cleans and refills water buckets, washes laundry, scoops outdoor play yards, disposes of pet waste, and removes trash.
- Maintains suites and potty area to maximize safety standards for the pets.
- Explains rules, fees, and hotel procedures to pet parents. Assists Receptionist with the intake and release of pets from the daycare and boarding facility, as needed.
- Takes photo of pet parent/visitor and pet and uploads into pet’s profile.
- Ensures facility doors and suite doors are securely locked.
Intake and Departure Duties
- Contributes to the delivery of positive patient outcomes and excellent patient care.
- Inspects pet for fleas. Informs Senior Veterinary Technician and/or CEO of status and rejects pet, if necessary.
- Observes animal appearance and activity for general physical condition, obvious signs of illness, disease and discontent.
- Assists pet parents with receiving, assessment, work-up, discharge. Develops Plan of Care with input from pet parent and confirms with Veterinarian on record, if appropriate.
- Develops schedule based on the Plans of Care customized for each pet in the care of TLC.
- Provides updates to pet parents inquiring on the status of pet by phone.
- Updates Report Cards for each pet.
- Completes pre-departure baths, as requested.
- Administers a variety of veterinary medical procedures, including preparation for catherization, oral pill administration, administration of IV medication and treatments, etc. as defined by any state licensed veterinarian and assigned by the Senior Veterinary Technician.
- Recommends changes and makes proposals for cost-saving improvements, which enhance TLC’s efficiency and effectiveness.
- Stocks all inventory. Assists the Senior Veterinary Technician in establishing the amount on-hand of each product.
- Ensures all medical equipment is properly stored.
- Restrains and handles pets and/or assists with pet restraint and handling.
- Adheres to the safety and infection control policies and procedure manual; and responsible developing/modifying and training.
- Contacts on-call Veterinarian and pet parent in situations that warrant escalation.
- Assists on-call Veterinarian with euthanasia procedure.
- Leads the evacuation procedure.
- Performs additional duties, as needed.
- High School Diploma or GED is required.
- Graduate of an accredited veterinary technician program.
- Certification as a Registered Veterinary Technician in the state of Kansas.
- Five (5) years or more experience as a Registered Veterinary Technician within a clinical setting with at least five (5) years of experience supervising Veterinary Technicians.
- Strong knowledge of emergency and critical care is preferred.
- A positive attitude, love of pets and appreciation of people.
- Ability to humanely handle pets under various circumstances.
- Ability to make business decisions in the CEO and Senior Veterinary Technician’s absence.
- Demonstrated experience using electronic medical information technology record (EMR) software.
- Experience using word processing, spreadsheet, email and internet searching programs.
- Demonstrates the ability to be a compassionate pet advocate.
- Ability to gain animal confidence when restraining them for transport, grooming and/or treatment.
- Knowledge of common diseases, their symptoms and means of transmission, administration of oral medications, assessment of change in animal status.
- Ability to exercise good judgment with a strong attention to detail.
- Ability to act calmly under stress and strain, and of not being hasty or impetuous.
- Ability to multi-task effectively with attention to detail and quality.
- Demonstrated high energy and a positive attitude while being professional and efficient.
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally through both verbal and written skills.
- Ability to work independently and in team settings.
- Ability to effectively deal with both internal and external customers.
- Demonstrate poise, tact and diplomacy with the ability to handle sensitive and confidential information and situations.
- Regularly required to stand, walk, reach and use hands for extended periods of time.
- Performing physical activities which requires considerable use of your arms and legs and moving your entire body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, bending, kneeling, crawling, stooping, jogging, throwing, and handling of materials and/or animals.
- Ability to unpack and move supplies up to fifty (50) pounds.
- Ability to handle animals weighing up to one hundred fifty (150) pounds.
- Ability to work varying shifts.
- Ability to interact with staff, pets and pet owners, and Veterinarians.
- Ability to work effectively in a noisy environment.
- Ability to work in hot and cold weather conditions.
Additional Duties:Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this job description at any time. The job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee(s) holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.
To apply click here!