Tender Loving Care - Veterinary Assistant
Company: Tender Loving Care Pet Nursing Hotel
Job Classification: Non-Exempt, Full-Time
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday (generally)
Reporting Relationship: Veterinary Technician
The Veterinary Assistant is responsible for the overall care of all the dogs and cats under the supervision and care of Tender Loving Care Pet Nursing Hotel (“TLC”). Under direction of the Veterinary Technicians, this position provides for the constant cleanliness of the facility and the proper feeding and care of all pets.
Pet/Pet Parent Interaction
- Delivers outstanding customer service, including greeting and receiving pet parents and pets in a professional, caring and courteous manner and responding to pet parents and coworkers’ needs and requests.
- Provides a one-on-one, personalized period of attention for each pet, which is referred to as “Loving Time.”
- If pets are physically able, provides play time in accordance with Plan of Care.
- Observes animal appearance and activity for general physical condition, obvious signs of illness, disease and discontent.
- Ensures pets are clean and smell fresh.
- Recognizes, records and reports any unusual condition or abnormal behavior of any pets. Reports signs of illness, disease, injury or unusual activity to Veterinary Technicians.
- Assists Veterinary Technician with feeding and watering each pet according to the Plan of Care.
- Participates in the evacuation procedure by assisting the Veterinary Technician with duties, including gathering pets or carriers.
- Updates Report Cards for each pet.
- Updates Enclosure Cards with any activities, as needed.
- Always treats pets with kindness and respect.
- Conducts cleaning duties such as scrubbing, sweeping, vacuuming, and mopping of floors, walls and shelves throughout the facility, including storage and prep areas. Washes dishes, cleans and refills water buckets, washes laundry, scoops outdoor play yards, disposes of pet waste, and removes trash. Uses cleaning materials and equipment with skill and efficiency.
- Performs necessary cleaning and maintenance of all equipment and tools used in job assignments.
- Stores equipment and tools in proper storage areas.
- Updates daily log of cleaning activities.
- Follows TLC policies and procedures.
- Unpacks, labels and stocks shelter supplies and donations.
- Ensures all facility doors and suite doors are securely locked.
- Performs additional duties, as needed.
- High School Diploma or GED is required.
- Knowledge of basic animal behavior.
- Ability to humanely handle pets under various circumstances.
- Prior experience working in a veterinary clinic, pet store or doggie daycare facility is preferred.
- A positive attitude, love of pets and appreciation of people.
- Demonstrates the ability to be a compassionate pet advocate.
- Ability to exercise good judgment with a strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated high energy and a positive attitude while being professional and efficient.
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally through both verbal and written skills.
- Ability to organize, multi-task, plan and set priorities with minimal supervision.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships across all levels of TLC.
- Ability to work independently and in team settings.
- Ability to effectively deal with both internal and external customers.
- Demonstrate poise, tact and diplomacy with the ability to handle sensitive and confidential information and situations.
- Regularly required to stand, walk, reach and use hands for extended periods of time.
- Performing physical activities which requires considerable use of your arms and legs and moving your entire body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, bending, kneeling, crawling, stooping, jogging, throwing, and handling of materials and/or animals.
- Ability to unpack and move supplies up to fifty (50) pounds.
- Ability to handle animals weighing up to one hundred fifty (150) pounds.
- Ability to work varying shifts.
- Ability to interact with staff, pets and pet owners.
- Ability to work effectively in a noisy environment.
- Ability to work in hot and cold weather conditions
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this job description at any time. The job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee(s) holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.
To apply click here!